Sunday, 19 July 2009

Stint in Corfu

By Darren Roberts

I've been in northern Corfu and Paxos for the last 2 weeks on our honeymoon.

The perfect beach holiday always offers something in terms of trails, so whilst my wife extended her wake up times, I pulled on a pair of shorts and trainers and sneaked in a daily run before she woke up.

At 907 metres, Mount Pantokrator offered a testing stomping ground. Surrounded by cypress-clad hills, plunging steeply down to picturesque bays and the bluest of seas - it was hard not to smile.

I spent an hour and a half every morning on a rocky trail with no other human in sight, breathing in huge gulps of oregano and lavender infused air. Cicadas blazed a shrill tune in the background, as the heat soared to 35 degrees.

Webs spun by spiders as big as 50 pence pieces, kept me focused on the way ahead, as well as the odd snake. The largest of which measured about 4ft and scared me half to flippin' death when I nearly trod on it - jolting memories of the Namibian Desert Ultra Marathon. A bite in the middle of nowhere would not be fun.

Back home now, and continuing the effort in preparation for the Lakeland 50 in 2 weeks. It's just a shame I can't now finish my run with a dive in the Mediterranean. Alas, we can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment below