Monday, 24 August 2009

Bonjour Chamonix

By Darren Roberts

3 days until we go to Chamonix and 5 days until we start the race. I've got to be honest and say that I'm a little nervous. This is a big event. 46 hours to run 100 miles may sound a lot but mix it in with Alpine mountains and it becomes a monster of an adventure. In addition to that, the whole PR and administration machine that revolves around this adds that sprinkle of anticipation.


I'll be happy to finish this one. I'm happy to have achieved the points to qualify but if I crawl over the line in Chamonix, I'll be unashamedly in bits.

There is a little more to Chamonix than just the race though. My wife Sarah, lost her father to a climbing accident there when she was 2 years old. It has become a yearly pilgrimage to return and see him in the Chamonix cemetery. I'll think of him and his quests when I'm there, and how there is a large slice of selfishness in those of us who seek mad past times. More than anything though, I'll think of Sarah, and how the void of losing John as a dad has affected her, and promise that I'll return to thank her for being so damned patient with me. I wish she could be there to share the sunrise that will stretch across the mountain peaks and passes after 40 miles run. It's going to be incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add comment below